Saturday, October 29, 2011

2 Corinthians 12:9

NIV - But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.


NLT - Each time he said, "My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness." So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me.


ISV - but he has told me, "My grace is all you need, because my power is perfected in weakness." Therefore, I will most happily boast about my weaknesses, so that the Messiah's power may rest on me.


is sufficient - arkei - provided
  • the grace has already been provided by Jesus himself for "If righteousness could be obtained through law, Christ died for nothing!" (Galatians 2:21) because grace and truth came through Jesus Christ (John 1:17)
power - dunamis - power for performing miracles; power consisting in or resting upon armies, forces, or hosts
  • He is the army for the armor of God is quite simply the characteristics that define Christ himself
weakness - astheneia - to restrain corrupt desires; to do things great and glorious; to bear trials and troubles
  • Weakness is not only bearing trials, it is the actual restraint of those corrupt desires. It is not only restraining corrupt desires, it is doing great and glorious things out of that! If we believe this verse and that His power is made perfect in our weakness, then we can certainly agree that weakness is great and glorious!
perfected - teleitai - to perform, execute, complete, fulfill; to pay
  • His power is completed in our weakness; our weakness shows his power like a child who has gotten a scrap and is in need of a band-aid - when the mother provides it, her true motherhood is shown.
gladly - ēdista - most sweetly; emphasizing an action done with full gladness (no regret or reservation)
  • teleitai gladness, not only telitai power.
May rest upon me - episkēnōsē - to pitch a tent upon; and then to dwell in or upon.
  • Once the work is done to pop the tent, it is dwelled it (def: to live or stay as a permanent resident; to reside)

No comments:

Post a Comment